This board is the new home for david63's extensions.

All of the extensions hosted here will need to be treated as a new install as there is no migration from the original ones to these, and furthermore, no support will be given to migrating to any of these extensions from previous versions.

Due to the selfishness of certain board members it has become necessary to apply a limit of how many downloads each member can make before making a donation. Once a donation has been made then you will have unlimited downloads.

Database Rename

Request extensions
RealSparky

Database Rename

Post by RealSparky »

Hi, Developers
I have learned that there is some issues caused by using Softaculous to install a phpbb and then using xampp to pre-develope that same site. Softaculous database naming convention is: site-name_ phpbxxx where xxx is random number and a simple local site under xampp uses phpbb_site-name. Trying to export (sync) with a different MySQL database name is NOT possible. My recent experience of editing the un-editable config.php results in a security breach and site lockout. My option are limited to renaming and connecting the renamed SQL db in either remote or locale and then using export/import to sync. This seems like a better solution would be a renaming extension to handle the incredible messy details. Hope someone might have a suggestion.
thanks, RealSparky

devspace
Owner
Owner

Re: Database Rename

Post by devspace »

That is not going to happen.

First off phpBB does not support Softaculous installations. Secondly this is the first, and only, time I have ever heard of this as a requirement. Third - it takes less than five minutes to do it manually. And lastly, and most importantly - it is impossible to rename a database that is open.

RealSparky

Re: Database Rename

Post by RealSparky »

Thanks, Admin
Sorry for the confusion. My Softaculous reference was only to explain why the 2 databases were not currently interchangeable. Xampp's phpbb install uses a simple approach and Softaculous has a more secure random naming approach. I continued my efforts and found all the functions I need are part of phpMyAdmin who's sole purpose is managing the mySQL databases for my forums. The 2 most helpful links I've found are:

https://www.hostgator.com/help/article/ ... phpmyadmin
https://richjenks.com/change-mysql-data ... le-prefix/

This has the potential to make my local xampp database and table names identical to the Softaculous installed remote phpbb with a few tweaks. This has the unfortunate effect of breaking my local phpbb. The requested, suggested, hopefully not to crazy extension request was to be able to reconfigure the local phpbb to use the new database naming. Then export/import syncing would be super clean.

This approach only renames my local database which I have complete control and the remote database is unchanged and only has to accept an import operation to sync.

I hope this info might be helpful for anyone searching for a similar solution.
best regards, RealSparky